If you’ve been involved in an accident, please call our Customer Claim Line on 0345 246 2089. This line is open 24 hours so you can call at any time.
You must call us within 24 hours of the incident taking place, and ideally within one hour. This is regardless of whether you wish to make a claim under your policy or not. Any delay in notifying us of an incident may invalidate your right to claim.
Six important points to help you after an accident:
- Make a note of the registration number of any vehicles involved, and any witnesses.
- Do not admit responsibility.
- Ask for the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all people involved including any passengers in the other vehicle and details of any property damaged.
- Take a photograph of the scene of the incident if it is safe to do so and you have a camera or a camera-phone.
- If anyone other than you is injured in the accident, you must show your Certificate of Motor Insurance to the police. If you cannot do this at the time of the accident, take it to the police as soon as possible or within 24 hours.
- Draw a diagram of the scene showing the movement of the vehicles to illustrate the direction the vehicles have travelled, and their final positions. Note the road names and position of any witnesses, and any other relevant details to help you recall the incident.
- Send Darwin any correspondence you receive (including any claim form or summons) without delay and unanswered.
- Tell Darwin about any future prosecution, coroner’s inquest or fatal accident inquiry involving anyone covered by this policy.
- Not make any admission, offer, promise or payment without the insurer’s written consent. This applies to any person (or on behalf of any person) claiming under this policy.
- Co-operate fully with Darwin on all matters concerning the handling and settlement of any claim.
Keywords: claims, car crash, collision, hit, claiming, report a claim, NCB, NCD, no claims bonus